Over the month of April, I tracked everywhere that I went on my bike and all of my purchases where I used my bike to get to the business.
Being car-free means that almost all of our errands are completed using our bikes and almost all of my purchases this month fell within a 4km radius from our house. Our money (minus our income taxes!) definitely stays in our community.
View 30 Days of Biking 2013 in a larger map
Here’s how the month stacked up:
Days cycled: 29/30 (Missed one day due to a freak snowstorm)
Total distance: 293km
Total purchases: $1571
I mapped the radius from our neighbourhood and 99.9% of the money we spent this month stayed within a 4km distance from home. Live local. Buy local.
Who says that cyclists don’t spend money? Phooey, I say.
Here are a few photo highlights from the past month:
1. Bakfietsen! at the rec centre
2. Voting with your bike (Follow this link! Bikeyface is worth the click!)
3. A moody rainy night ride home over the Corkstown Bridge
4. I have harnessed the power of the bungees
5. Minor bike maintenance 101: winter chain cleaning